About Applied Research
Applied research addresses real-world and client-driven problems through the application of accumulated theory, knowledge, methods and techniques, opposed to the sole creation of new knowledge.
Jefferson’s Office of Applied Research Goals:
- Connect with our alumni network and industry partners to foster hands-on educational experiences to students
- Utilize our labs and equipment to provide cutting edge products and prototypes to our industry partners
- Provide administrative support to both student and faculty researchers through our office and internal and external resources
- Addresses normative ethical and social questions of how we ought to change our world or solve problems.
- Accesses and uses accumulated theories, knowledge, methods, and techniques, in order to solvee a specific, pratical problem.
- Develops technologies or techniques to alter natuaral phenomena to solve specific problems.
At Jefferson, applied research project are integrated into our curriculum. Working with industry partners and faculty, students work together to provide targeted deliverables; applying their knowledge, skills and research to the project at hand. Jefferson is also a member of multiple consortium; giving our students access to many hands-on experiences and networking within their industry.
of external grants applied were funded in the last 18 months
Higher education is no longer just about the material taught in a classroom, it’s about taking that knowledge and applying it to real-world experiences.
research active faculty
Some Current Industry Partners/Affliations
- Advanced Functional Fabrics of America (AFFOA)
- National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT)
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)
Applied Research projects can be sponsored in many ways. The Most common efforts start from a federal or state grant or industry sponsored opportunity.