Steplewski, A., Fertala, J., Arita, M., Romero, F., Summer, R., Fertala, R. Target-Specific Delivery of an Antibody That Blocks the Formation of Fibrotic Deposits in Keloid and Lung Fibrosis Models, Monoclon Antib Immunodiagn Immunother. 
This study demonstrates our ability to deliver a novel antifibrotic antibody to the lung and provides preliminary evidence that this biologic may be effective in the treatment of pulmonary fibrosis.
Freddy Romero, Xu Hong, Dilip Shah, Caleb B. Kallen, Ivan Rosas, Zhi Guo, DeLeila Schriner, Julie Barta, Hoora Shaghaghi, Jan B. Hoek, Clementina Mesaros, Augustine M. Choi, Nathaniel W. Snyder, and Ross Summer, Lipid synthesis is required to resolve ER stress and limit fibrotic responses in the lung Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2018.
This study provides a unifying mechanism linking ER stress to the development of pulmonary fibrosis. We show that metabolic dysfunction, namely the impairment of lipid synthesis, reduces the capacity of alveolar epithelial cells to resolve ER stress, leading to sustained cellular dysfunction and induction of fibrotic responses. We also provide evidence that pharmacological or dietary approaches to increasing lung lipids could be effective in treating pulmonary fibrosis.
Romero F, Shah D, Duong M, Penn RB, Fessler MB, Madenspacher J, Stafstrom W, Kavuru M, Lu B, Kallen CB, Walsh K, Summer R. A Pneumocyte-macrophage Paracrine Lipid Axis Drives the Lung Toward Fibrosis. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2014 Nov 19. E-pub ahead of print [PMID:25409201].
This study is the first to suggest that macrophage foam cells play a causal role in the development of pulmonary fibrosis and that strategies aimed at blocking their formation might be effective in limiting the onset and progression of disease.
- Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome-2 alters mitochondrial homeostasis in the alveolar epithelium of the lung
- Airway Hydration in Sjögren's Pulmonary Disease: The Role of Nebulized Saline Solution Beyond Xerotrachea
- Racial disparities in COVID-19 associated pulmonary embolism: A multicenter cohort study
- COVID-19 treatment combinations and associations with mortality in a large multi-site healthcare system
- Tocilizumab in the Management of COVID-19: A Preliminary Report
- A model of the aged lung epithelium in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Acute Exacerbation of Interstitial Lung Disease as a Sequela of COVID-19 Pneumonia
- On Race and the Environment in the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Retraction: Obesity-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress causes lung endothelial dysfunction and promotes acute lung injury
- COVID-19 Retesting in the Primary Care Setting
- A Comprehensive Review of Manifestations of Novel Coronaviruses in the Context of Deadly COVID-19 Global Pandemic
- E-cigarettes and Vaping Associated Lung Injury: A Case Series and Brief Review
- Alcohol-induced lipid dysregulation impairs glycolytic responses to LPS in alveolar macrophages
- Maxed out on glycolysis: Alveolar macrophages rely on oxidative phosphorylation for cytokine production
- Pulmonary circulation in obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome
- The histone deacetylase inhibitor tubacin mitigates endothelial dysfunction by up-regulating the expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase
- Lipid Uptake by Alveolar Macrophages Drives Fibrotic Responses to Silica Dust
- The involvement of GM-CSF deficiencies in parallel pathways of pulmonary alveolar proteinosis and the alcoholic lung
- Matrix metalloproteinase activity in the lung is increased in Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome
- Activation of the mTORC1/PGC-1 axis promotes mitochondrial biogenesis and induces cellular senescence in the lung epithelium