Steplewski, A., Fertala, J., Arita, M., Romero, F., Summer, R., Fertala, R. Target-Specific Delivery of an Antibody That Blocks the Formation of Fibrotic Deposits in Keloid and Lung Fibrosis Models, Monoclon Antib Immunodiagn Immunother. 
This study demonstrates our ability to deliver a novel antifibrotic antibody to the lung and provides preliminary evidence that this biologic may be effective in the treatment of pulmonary fibrosis.
Freddy Romero, Xu Hong, Dilip Shah, Caleb B. Kallen, Ivan Rosas, Zhi Guo, DeLeila Schriner, Julie Barta, Hoora Shaghaghi, Jan B. Hoek, Clementina Mesaros, Augustine M. Choi, Nathaniel W. Snyder, and Ross Summer, Lipid synthesis is required to resolve ER stress and limit fibrotic responses in the lung Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2018.
This study provides a unifying mechanism linking ER stress to the development of pulmonary fibrosis. We show that metabolic dysfunction, namely the impairment of lipid synthesis, reduces the capacity of alveolar epithelial cells to resolve ER stress, leading to sustained cellular dysfunction and induction of fibrotic responses. We also provide evidence that pharmacological or dietary approaches to increasing lung lipids could be effective in treating pulmonary fibrosis.
Romero F, Shah D, Duong M, Penn RB, Fessler MB, Madenspacher J, Stafstrom W, Kavuru M, Lu B, Kallen CB, Walsh K, Summer R. A Pneumocyte-macrophage Paracrine Lipid Axis Drives the Lung Toward Fibrosis. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2014 Nov 19. E-pub ahead of print [PMID:25409201].
This study is the first to suggest that macrophage foam cells play a causal role in the development of pulmonary fibrosis and that strategies aimed at blocking their formation might be effective in limiting the onset and progression of disease.
- Circulating metabolic profile in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: data from the IPF-PRO Registry
- Low utilization of statins in patients with dermatomyositis/polymyositis and hyperlipidemia: a multicenter USA-based study (2013–2023)
- Racial and ethnic disparities in antifibrotic therapy in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Reclaiming the Balance: Blocking Glutamine Uptake to Restrain Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Diagnostic unification of usual interstitial pneumonia is a step back
- Changes in nascent chromatin structure regulate activation of the pro-fibrotic transcriptome and myofibroblast emergence in organ fibrosis
- Moving senolytics closer to the clinic in IPF
- Lung recovery with prolonged ECMO following fibrotic COVID-19 acute respiratory distress syndrome
- 68-year old man with progressive weakness and ventilator dependent respiratory failure: a case report of sporadic late onset nemaline myopathy
- Mortality among Patients with COVID-19 and Different Interstitial Lung Disease Subtypes: A Multicenter Cohort Study
- The profibrotic and senescence phenotype of old lung fibroblasts is reversed or ameliorated by genetic and pharmacological manipulation of Slc7a11 expression
- Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome-2 alters mitochondrial homeostasis in the alveolar epithelium of the lung
- Glutamine restores mitochondrial respiration in bleomycin-injured epithelial cells
- The FDA-approved anthelmintic pyrvinium pamoate inhibits pancreatic cancer cells in nutrient-depleted conditions by targeting the mitochondria
- Airway Hydration in Sjögren's Pulmonary Disease: The Role of Nebulized Saline Solution Beyond Xerotrachea
- Racial disparities in COVID-19 associated pulmonary embolism: A multicenter cohort study
- COVID-19 treatment combinations and associations with mortality in a large multi-site healthcare system
- Tocilizumab in the Management of COVID-19: A Preliminary Report
- A model of the aged lung epithelium in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Acute Exacerbation of Interstitial Lung Disease as a Sequela of COVID-19 Pneumonia